Therapeutic horse-related activity programs were first developed in the UK in the early 1950’s as a method to assist soldiers returning from WWII and the Korean War. The success of these experimental programs led to horse-related therapeutic programs spreading the world over. The first of these centers in the US is located outside of Kalamazoo, MI. Several of the founders of TEC were trained at the Cheff Center in Augusta, MI and returned to Berrien County to initialize “We Can Ride 4-H Club”, a program presented through Michigan State University Cooperative Extension and available during Spring and Summer break for youth ages 5-26. The successes and challenges for the riders in this program led those involved, including others members of the community to create a program that would be in service through-out the year and would be open to participants of all ages with a wide array of special needs, many of which would be non-traditional.
TEC FOUNDING HISTORY
Copyright ©2014 • www.TECfarm.org • All rights reserved. • (269) 429-0671 • Ride, Participate, Volunteer ~ Together … People & Horses Challenge, Strengthen, and Inspire!